It may be that local Republican leaders are running out of communities to attack, so they’re aiming for one group anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn’t touch – Greenwich moms.
To be fair, they’re lashing out at the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) and the Parent Teacher Association Council (PTAC), the umbrella organization formed by the fifteen PTAs of the Greenwich Public Schools, which includes all parents.
But these groups are largely led by smart, diligent, deeply caring moms who volunteer their time to help make our schools the best they can be for all our children.
There is a particular toughness that moms possess, and it’s just not smart to pick on them. But that’s exactly what the Republican Town Committee (RTC) is doing.
- They repeatedly claim that PTAC and the Greenwich PTAs are “political operatives” plotting to inject nefarious practices and policies into our schools.
- They throw around far-right buzzwords like Critical Race Theory (which is not taught in our schools, but also just means we acknowledge that racism has long existed).
- They orchestrated an attack on gender identity curriculum in our high school just last week. Karen Kowalski, an elected Republican on the Board of Education (BOE), took to the air on a right wing Newsmax show, hosted by a mouthpiece who was booted from the Trump administration for being too extreme.
- Kowalski’s tirade of hatred and disinformation mirrors that of RTC Chair Beth MacGillivray, who objects to federal Title IX protections based on gender identity and sexual orientation, which would leave our most vulnerable kids open to discrimination without recourse.
- They refer to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) like it’s a curse word, when all DEI means is honoring our beautiful American mosaic of races and religions, helping our kids and parents learn about American history, and feel seen instead of excluded.
- They show up at Board of Ed meetings to condemn the PTAs, write op-eds in right wing publications, and, right on the heels of Mothers’ Day, Tweet and Instagram their angry disinformation into the ether.
What’s more, they falsely connect our tax dollars and the BOE to the all-volunteer, independent PTAs and PTAC.
The PTA is a 100-year-old organization more closely associated with bake sales than political ideology. It is nonpartisan and apolitical. Parents raise funds for academic and enrichment activities, advocate for desperately needed repairs, and supplement costs for school trips.
The wild claims Republicans are spewing are taken from national right wing playbooks and dumped on our town. Worse, they shamelessly defame the volunteers who work tirelessly to ensure our children have access to the best resources possible.
How low must you go to think it’s OK to attack the PTA? It’s like punching a Girl Scout.
Maybe it’s a sign of desperation. Parents were already furious that Republicans have been nickel and diming desperately needed funds to fix our schools. Moms are upset that a small cabal of RTC radicals – many of whom do not have kids in our schools – are hell-bent on cutting funds, banning books and curriculum, and generally creating chaos and fear.
They have no actual vision for a thriving, functional and fair Greenwich. They just want to burn it all down. Sound familiar?
What sort of political strategy includes alienating your most important constituents? Everyone knows not to mess with Mamas.
CT receives credit rating upgrade
CT received a boost this month when Kroll Bond Rating Agency upgraded the state’s bond credit rating to AA+, one step below the highest credit rating possible. This upgrade follows an upgrade by S&P in 2022 and four additional upgrades in 2021 by all four of the major credit rating agencies. Prior to Governor Lamont taking office, Connecticut had not experienced an upgrade in its credit rating since February 2001.
Lamont said, “Today’s news will result in reduced costs that will help us make critically needed investments in infrastructure, health and human services, education, economic development, and other key areas. This will also mean lower fixed costs in our budget, providing additional resources for essential services in future years.”
Scroll down for details
June 2: Gun Violence Awareness Day.
June 3 & 7: Coffee with Fellow Democrats
June 4: Greenwich Pride 2023
June 6: Kyle Spencer, investigative journalist and author of “Raising Them Right—the Untold Story of America’s Ultraconservative Youth Movement, and its Plot for Power,” will speak. Seating is limited, see below to register!
June 14: GDTC Monthly Meeting
Greenwich Democrats honor our fallen heroes Memorial Day
Last Call: Take the survey
How’s Greenwich doing? Let us know your priorities for our town by completing this short survey.
For your calendar
Proclamation against gun violence, hosted by CT Against Gun Violence. Show support by wearing orange. 12:00 p.m. in front of Town Hall, 101 Field Point Road
June 3 and 7
Meet old friends and make new ones at our monthly coffees on Saturday, June 3 and Wednesday, June 7 at 10:00 a.m. at Coffee for Good. 48 Maple Avenue
Kick off Pride month at Greenwich Town Hall on Sunday, June 4th at 1:00 pm! LGBTQ+ neighbors, families, friends, and allies will join our elected officials and community leaders to raise the Pride flag at Town Hall. All are welcome for an afternoon of community and celebration. 101 Field Point Road
Kyle Spencer, investigative journalist and author of “Raising Them Right,” will speak about the 4 years she spent embedded with the well-funded right-wing activists seeking to lure young voters to turn back the clock on the quest for greater inclusivity and diversity. Spencer will discuss how to engage young voters in the issues they care about, and how to sustain their interest in preserving our fragile democracy. After all, it’s their future we are fighting for.
June 6, 6:30 p.m. refreshments, 7:00 p.m. program.
Greenwich Library, 2nd Floor meeting room, 101 W. Putnam Ave.
Seating is limited, so register today!
Greenwich Democratic Town Committee monthly meeting,
June 14, 7:30 p.m. Town Hall Cone Room, 101 Field Point Road
Facts. Vision. Competence. That’s what Democrats bring.
Get one of our fabulous new t-shirts while supplies last!
Show your Greenwich Democratic pride!
Request a free bumper sticker, or two.
|Volume 1, Number 47 • June 2, 2023|
|Paid for by the Greenwich Democratic Town Committee.|
|Greenwich Democratic Town Committee P.O. Box 126 Greenwich, CT 06836|